You may have noticed the increasing number of advertisements for products that have beneficial bacteria, such as Activa. However, you may not know what beneficial bacteria actually does, except what the advertisements say about it getting your bowels moving. Normally, you have between 4 and 7 pounds of bacteria in your colon. Normal and well-balanced bacteria have many beneficial functions.
Beneficial bacteria do the following:
- Produce vitamins like K, folic acid and B12.
- Increase bowel movements (you should poop as often as you have large meals)
- Reduce the chances for colon cancer by nourishing the lining of the colon by feeding on vegetable fiber and producing butyric acid.
- Keeps harmful bacteria levels down.
- Break down toxins.
Harmful microorganisms do the following:
- Inhibit beneficial bacterial growth, creating deficiencies of nutrients, gasiness, bloating and other problems.
- Produce toxins that can cause diarrhea. Harmful bacteria create toxins and inhibit beneficial bacteria from detoxifying the bowel. Toxins can burden the liver and affect every function in the body.
- Irritate the lining of the intestine, increasing intestinal permeability (leaky gut).
Allergies, chemical sensitivities, fatigue, fibromyalgia, depression, digestive problems, skin problems, headaches, joint pain, and virtually any chronic health problem can be caused by an imbalance of good bacteria, which is called dysbiosis. These health problems are the result of nutrient deficiencies, toxicity, GI irritation, and challenges to the immune system brought about by dysbiosis.
Dysbiosis can be caused by improper eating, exposure to toxins like chemicals and heavy metals, drug therapy (antibiotics), poor digestive enzyme production, nutrient deficiency or poor immune function. Transforming Chiropractic is able to evaluate your GI health. Call us today at 952-224-2909 for an evaluation.
Yours in health!
Trackback from your site.